Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Day 1: Finding Myself

I talked with my therapist the other day and he started off our conversation by asking me, "Who are you?". Aside from being a daughter, a wife, a mother, etc. I couldn't answer that question. It occurred to me that at 26 years old I still had not solidified who I was as an individual. The impact of the previous statement rocked me to my core. How could I not know who I was? How was it possible that I had lived a quarter of a century and not know the answer to a simple question. Granted, I have never really been one to talk about myself, but for this...I should have had some sort of answer that didn't appear to be pulled from thin air.
What resulted next was a mixture of emotions and a mental flood gate opening- what kind of music do I really like? What is my favorite perfume? What is my favorite sports team? etc. etc. I didn't know the true answers to any of these questions because for so long they had been influenced by those around me- namely the men in my life. I had become a chameleon, and in so doing had lost my true identity. Thus, I have committed myself to a quest to uncover my true identity, and finally be able to answer, with confidence, the question: Who am I?

No comments:

Post a Comment